QUESTION - Ever since I learned that the Jinn can possess people, I have been scared. I cannot sleep at night. They say that if you pray, you will not be scared. I pray, but I am very scared. What can I do?
I have read your message with deep concern and have felt the fears that you are suffering from.
You should know that the Jinn are a creation of Allah, but they are of a lesser grade than human beings. Sheikh Abû Bakr al-Jazâ’irî said: “Even the Muslim Jinn are lower in dignity and honor than human beings. Allah says: “We have honoured the sons of Adam; provided them with transport on land and sea; given them for sustenance things good and pure; and conferred on them special favours, above a great part of Our Creation.” [Sûrah al-Isrâ’: 70]
Such honor was never mentioned for the Jinn in Qur’an or Sunnah. Hence, humans are more honorable than the Jinn. The Jinn know this fact and feel inferior in front of people. That is why when people seek refuge with them, it makes them they feel so proud and arrogant.
You should know that the Jinn fear humans, particularly people with strong faith in Allah. It was related that the Jinn were frightened of `Umar and Abû Hurayrah.
Ibn Abî al-Dunyâ related that Mujâhid said: “While I was praying one night, somebody from among the Jinn, resembling a boy, stood in front of me and when I tried to grab him he jumped over the wall and I heard the noise of his fall. Then he never approached me again.” Then he said: “They (the Jinn) fear you as you fear them. But they fear you more than you fear them. If someone is approached by one of the Jinn, he should not fear him. Otherwise, they will pounce on him. But, if he confronts them, they will flee.” [Wiqâyah al-Insân min al-Jinn wa al-Shaytân page 33]
You should not fear the Jinn. Allah says: “It is only the Satan that suggested to you the fear of his votaries: be ye not afraid of them, but fear me if ye have faith” [Sûrah Al-`Imrân: 175]
In order to get rid of your fear of the Jinn, I advise you to employ the following procedures:
1. Seek help from Allah and frequently seek refuge with him from Satan and his helpers from among the Jinn.
2. Be steadfast in praying on time.
3. Always read the prescribed remembrances of the morning and the evening, the remembrance before sleeping, and the other well-known remembrances.
4. Read or at lest listen to Sûrah al-Baqarah in full at least once every three days.
5. Read Ayah al-Kursî daily and particularly before going to bed. This is sure protection from the Jinn.
6. You have to abide strictly by Islamic teachings by doing what is permitted and avoiding what is sinful.
7. Offer sincere supplications to Allah to remove from you such unfounded fears and to protect you from evil and provide you with all manner of good.
And Allah knows best.